❀ Spring Pet Safety

April showers bring May flowers but not all flowers are pet friendly!

Here you can find a good guide as you will prepare your yard for spring and summer. Today we will talk about plants!

In this article:

  • Plants Which are Toxic for Pets;
  • Which Parts of the Plant are Actually Toxic?
  • Symptoms;
  • Urgent Care at Home;
  • Treatment;
  • Prevention.

Pets LOVE Being Outside

Since cats’ and dogs’ natural environment is the outdoors, both love being outside. Cats love chasing birds, climbing trees and hiding.

Most dogs like barking at the neighbors, chasing squirrels and digging holes in the garden. Therefore, dogs tend to go ouside more than cats, but for both of them it can be dangerous whether in or out!


Plants Which are Toxic for Pets

  • Keep your eye on pets that roam outdoors because they could get into toxic plants that can cause serious harm!
  • Be aware of this garden hazards and give you local vet a call right away if your pet becomes ill after eating or chewing a plant!
  • Whether garden plants, houseplants, plants in the wild or flowers from the florist, plants can provide a tempting feeding and/or smelling diversion for animals, one that may damage your pet’s health.

  • These common plants are some for you to make sure your pets avoid ingesting:
  • Other garden plants that are also toxic but not so common: Aconites, Autumn crocuses, Bleeding hearts, Bluebells, Calla lilies, Crocuses, Delphiniums, Elephant’s ears, Foxgloves, Hellebores, Holly, Hyacinths, Hydrangeas, Laburnum, Mistletoe, Rhubarb leaves, Sweet peas and Wisteria.

  • Like with all toxic substances, how much of the plant your pet has eaten directly affects how much your pet is poisoned. Some plants are more poisonous than others, so a small amount will cause severe signs. Others are less toxic but it’s still best to avoid them!

Which Parts of the Plant are Actually Toxic?

All parts of the plant are poisonous even if some parts of the plant may have higher toxin concentrations than others.

Toxic doses can vary from plant to plant. In some cases, devastating results can be seen from ingesting a small amount of plant, while other pets may need to be exposed to relatively large amounts before symptoms develop.

Symptoms

  • 1. External Irritants:
  • Irritation or inflammation (redness) of the eyes, skin and mouth;
  • Swelling or itchiness of the eyes, skin or mouth;
  • 2. Plant ingestion:
  • Vomiting and diarrhea due to the irritation of the digestive tract;
  • 3. Some toxic plants can affect a particular organ, so the symptoms will primarily be related to that particular organ:
  • Breathing difficulties (if the airways are affected);
  • Drooling or swallowing difficulty (if the mouth, throat or esophagus are affected);
  • Vomiting (if the stomach or small intestines are affected);
  • Diarrhea (if the small intestines or colon are affected);
  • Excessive drinking and urinating (if the kidneys are affected);
  • Fast, slow or irregular heart beat and weakness (if the heart is affected).

Urgent Care At Home

If you are aware that your pet ingested any toxic plant, do the following before you take him to your vet:

  • Stay calm! We need you to be able to provide the information that will be vital to providing the appropriate medical care for your pet.
  • Remove any plant material from your pet’s hair, skin and/or mouth (if you can do so safely).
  • Keep your pet confined in a safe environment for close monitoring.
  • Bring a sample of the plant or plant material that you got from your pet (if available, considering the indication above) with you to the vet. Identifying the plant is very important for determining treatment.

The most important thing to do is identifying the plant:

  • What did your pet consume?
  • When did it happen?
  • Has your pet vomited?

Treatment

✔ Medications to encourage vomiting and/or activated charcoal to absorb any of the toxic principle that may be in the gut;

✔ Medication which protects the damaged areas of the stomach;

✔ Supportive care, such as intravenous fluids;

✔ Anti-nausea drugs;

✔ Pain relief;

✔ Anti-inflammatory medication;

✔ Other treatments may be required based on the toxin involved and the pet’s condition.

Don`t try to manage this at home and please contact your vet! This can be deadly!


Prevention

✔ Be sure to follow your veterinarian’s instructions and ask any questions that you might have. This includes removing such plants from your home, keeping your pet indoors, closely supervising any outdoor activities and limiting them as much as possible.

✔ Make sure your pet doesn’t get their paws on any plants with bulbs while you’re organising your garden for spring, as many of them can be poisonous.

A More Comprehensive List Of Poisonous Plants, Garden And Household Substances Can Be Found HERE!

Don`t forget to have a look at the below-mentioned hints!

♥ Adventures start at home but let them be good ones!

♥ Keep your pets safe this spring!


♥ Always ask for vets’ advice!

References: www.petmd.com / www.dogstrust.org.uk / www.animalpoisonline.co.uk

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *